Emergency call out
90 min response*
0800 7723235
0333 7720205

PAT Testing

Tel: 0800 7723235

pat testing WolverhamptonAll portable electrical appliances in a low-risk environment, such as an office, need to have a portable appliance test (PAT) every year*. The law simply requires employers to ensure electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger. Inspecting electrical appliances as an employer and a landlord it is your duty to be vigilant. One way to do this is to get your appliances tested regularly within your property.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 requires that you ensure appliances are safe to use when first supplied. So, if you supply items such as kettles, toasters, washing machines, or almost anything else with a plug on the end, you need to check them regularly.

Engineers will carry out visual inspection for:pat testing Wolverhampton

  • Cuts or abrasions to cable coverings
  • Cracked casing or bent pins
  • Loose parts and screws
  • Burn marks
  • The outer covering of the cable not being gripped where it enters the plug or equipment

We may need to do a formal inspection, which requires the removal of the plug cover to check things such as:

  • The cord grip is holding the outer part of the cable tightly
  • The wires are attached to the correct terminals
  • No bare wire is visible other than at the terminals
  • The terminal screws are tight
  • There is no sign of internal damage

We carry out electrical testing on appliances with test equipment. Appliances that have passed are deemed safe to use and a pass sticker with the next date is affixed to the appliance. Appliances that fail will have a fail sticker and will be deemed unsafe to use.

It is also best to avoid the use of extension leads. If they are used, they should be tested as portable appliances.

All socket outlets, which may be used for portable equipment outdoors, should be protected by a residual current device (RCD). This will provide protection against electric shock.

What you must do You must ensure that any electrical contractor you employ to carry out electrical installation work in your rented property, is registered with a government authorised Part P scheme – like the NICEIC’s Domestic Installer Scheme – and deemed to be a ‘competent person’.

If they are, they will be able to self-certify their electrical installation work. If they are not, Building Control will have to be notified before work commences.

Don’t be afraid to question a contractor about their Part P competent persons status. All contractors registered with NICEIC have undergone appropriate training and assessment and they’ll be happy to answer any questions that you may have.